These are the first hamburgers I ever made. Feel free to vary the ingredients, adding more Worcestershire sauce, breadcrumbs, and onion if you like more of a rich meatloaf-like flavor. Yum!
Yummy Grilled Hamburgers (or, as Chris calls them, the Perfect BBQ Burger)
- 3 lb lean ground beef
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ¾ cup breadcrumbs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- ½ onion, finely minced
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- Salt, about 1 tsp
- Pepper, about ½ tsp
- Seasoned salt
- Sautéed Mushrooms (optional)
- Caramelized Onions (optional – see notes)
- Mix together the eggs, crumbs, onion, garlic, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Stir in ground beef until well mixed. I usually use my hands – kinda gross, but really does a great job.
- Form hamburger mixture into patties – remember that burgers really shrink down on the grill. This recipe will make 8-10 patties.
- Grill burgers as usual, sprinkling on some seasoning salt on both sides of each patty. While they are grilling, sauté your mushrooms: thickly slice about a pound of mushrooms (button or crimini, or a mixture of both), melt about 1 T button over medium high heat in a non stick pan, and add mushrooms. Stir fry over medium high heat until softened and lightly browned.
Note (optional) : Meanwhile, also caramelize your onions: Slice 1 medium onion (sweet is best – Vidalia or walla walla) into rings about ¼ inch thick. Melt about 2 tsp butter in a medium frying pan over medium high heat. Add onions. Cook on medium high, stirring occasionally, until they start to soften, just start to color, and look a little slimy. Turn heat down to medium low, and continue to cook until gooey dark brown and totally soft. Some people like to add a pinch of sugar toward the end to encourage that last bit of caramelizing. Process takes about 25 minutes, so they’ll be done when your burgers are done!
Makes about 8-10 burgers. Enjoy!