List Friday – Summertime
Pomegranates and Paper posts a "List Friday" each week – they give you a set of things to list each week (usually three lists of five things each), just for fun, and so people can get to know each other better. This week’s topic was about summertime – the things that get us thinking about summer.
- Fresh squeezed lemonade. The best lemonade I ever tasted had the fresh squeezed lemon juice and dash of syrup for sweetness, but used sparkling water, plus a slice of jalapeno and a few sprigs of fresh cilantro. YUM!
- Iced Tea. I’m sure this is on everyone’s list. Summer is the only time I drink ice tea – just plain cold tea, no sweeteners or flavors.
- Iced lattes. I only ever get these in the summertime. My taste bud just don’t think there’s a point to getting one any other time. They are SO good. It will take me all day to drink a hot latte, but I’ll gulp one down iced in 10 minute, if I’m trying to make it last.
- Margaritas. When we were kids, mom would make us blended non-alcoholic margaritas that we thought were a really great treat. They had the salt on the rim and everything. Now occasionally we drink the real thing. I’ve only ever drank margaritas with my mom at her house, which is saying something because the first sip of alcohol she ever had in her life was on our trip to Italy in 1998. She is NOT a drinker. But she makes a great margarita, and is fun to drink one with.
- Red wine. For some reason, I tend to enjoy more red wine in the summertime. Maybe is all those fresh, light foods enjoyed al fresco as the sun is going down, and its warm enough to sit outside for a while without freezing.
- Pico de gallo. I am completely addicted to this stuff, I can’t get enough of it. My favorite recipe initially came from my friend Moe, and it has (all fresh) tomatoes, jalapenas, lime juice, cilantro, green onions, salt and pepper. Sometimes I add a tomatillo or two.
- Fresh berries – strawberries, raspberries, blueberries. I love them cooked into something, but when I buy them myself I can’t seem to do anything with them beyond scarfing them down by the handful, or sprinkle them on a salad.
- Salad – Oh, I love salad, especially in the summer. I don’t really make my own salads, because I never seem to like them, even if it is the same recipe as someone else made. Anyway, all those fresh crisp veggies and fruits in their prime – mixed greens, spinach, tomatoes, sweet peppers, peaches, nuts, vinaigrettes, herbs. Sigh, I’m in heaven.
- Caprese – anything caprese. That’s fresh whole-milk mozzarella, basil, and tomatoes. In any form really – grilled panini, wood-fired pizza, or alone on a plate drizzled with a little olive oil and basalmic vinegar. Droooool….
- Ice cream. Of course! My home town makes some of the best ice cream ever. They can make any kind you want, and to prove it they’ve even made cedar chip ice cream! They have every kind of sorbet and sherbet too. I love the berry sorbets or any of the ice creams that have chocolate. When visiting my mom, we like to drive down to Hunter Farm’s and get ourselves a scoop, and they let us get half scoops of two different flavors. Then we browse all the plants on sale while eating it, and there’s always a kitten or puppy or cow somewhere to look at and talk to.
- Swimming. I really only ever swim in the summertime. Beaches, lakes, ocean, outdoor pool, I’ll take it all! I especially love wading in sunny glittering rivers and spending hours on the quiet beach up at Westport, WA.
- Barbeque. Now is the time for hot dogs, hamburgers, and other grilled and fried foods I’d not normally eat. Right up here with BBQ is fair food, like corn dogs, elephant ears, funnel cakes, etc. Its not just the food, it’s the friends, eating it outdoors, etc…
- Go to Outdoor Markets. I try to go to as many flea markets, farmer’s markets, and outdoor fairs and shows as possible. I love walking around all that sensory stimulation.
- Go Camping. Again, it’s living outside. Sitting by a river sketching or journaling, hiking through a forest, sitting by a campfire for hours at a time.
- Watch Fireworks. First, I love anything that brings me outdoors at night. Second, fireworks are such an amazing technology to me. How in the world did people figure out that if they mush a bunch of chemicals and goo together, it will fly into the air and make patterns and colors? That’s just amazing.
Where did Janene go?
Well, if you’re wondering what hole I fell into, it’s called Comcast. For some reason, while I can access any other website from my computer at home, and can access my own website from any computer other than home, I unfortunately am currently unable to access my website from my home computer. Apparently it is a Comcast thing. Thus I have been unable to update anything on my site. And I really do have updates! I’ve finished my design drawing and have filled in a good third of it in with colored pencil. It’s looking pretty good so far, wish I could share it with you. As soon as things are back to normal, I’ll get some posts up!
Day 32 – Anaheim Doodle
This is what I managed to accomplished while at my conference in Anaheim this last week – just some pen and ink drawing done inbetween workshops. The doodle started with the single swirl in the bottom left cluster – it is the shape of one of the pieces of iron making up the lamp in my room at the Marriott. It just went from there. This is just .01 & .005 sized black micron pen and mechanical pencil on drawing paper – I plan to add in colored pencil when the drawing part is finished. It doesn’t mean anything, it was just fun.
Now this, on the other hand, is why I’ll be doing very little art this weekend. Boo hoo.
Day 23 – Photos of Home
I’ve uploaded some photos of the house finally, and that’s about as artistic as I’m getting today with laundry to do and bills to pay! If you are interested in looking, they are in the gallery in the album called "photos of my life." Enjoy!